I have enjoyed being able to be home with both of my babies-- it has been nice to be able to take Mara to school and to pick her up. I get to see my Mara when she gets up in the morning, I also get to see my sweet hubby when he wakes up too!! I can not believe that it has already been 5 weeks, I am almost done with my maternity leave, I will be very sad when the day come that I have to leave and go back to work full time ( May 19th) next Monday
Jonah has been a great help by taking care of me, Mara and Jackson. He has surprised me!!

Mara is a great Big Sister!!!! She wants to hold Jackson anytime day or night, she wants to help me do everything for him: feed him, bath him, change him, soothe him-- everything!!!

Now my sweet little Jackson.......
Jackson has had a very hard time with his weight. I tried everything to get him to gain weight, I ended up having to take him off of Breast feeding/ breast milk and go to straight formula from the direction of my pediatrician. He just wasn't gaining weight, in fact he was loosing it.
Jackson got down to 5 pounds 11 ounces- that is when I switched over. I have been very frustrated and very concerned with him not gaining weight. He was eating 2 ounces every 2 hours and not weight gain.
On Saturday ( 4/26 ) I went in to the drs. office and was told to go to Primary Children's Hospital to have his blood drawn to find out what was going on, when we arrived and was taken into the ER room the doctors started running around very frantically- they said that he was septic.They ended up placing the IV in his head ( the best place for veins) after trying three other placing, they drew ALOT of Blood and urine samples, they then found that he had a very bad UTI- they then did a Spinal Tap- making sure that the infection hadn't gotten into his spinal fluid. Needless to say I was a little panic-y.

Jackson was admitted and was taken upstairs. So poor Jackson was in the hospital from Saturday at 12 until today at 12- I felt horrible, I still do.
he had a Ultrasound on his Kidneys- to see if his kidneys had any abnormalities and then a procedure that injected dye into his bladder to see if his urine was backing up into his kidneys- they both came back normal-everything came back normal except the UTI.
The doctors figured out that the UTI was keeping him from gaining weight his body was taking all of the nutrients he was getting from the food and using it to try to fight the infection. in 3 days Jackson gained quite a bit a weight-- he went from 6 lbs. 1 ounce to 6 lbs. 81/2 ounces -- when we got home from the hospital I weighed him and he weighed 6 lbs. 14 ounces-- yeah!!!!!he is now currently weighing in at 8 lbs. 6 oz. so that is over 2 pounds in 2 weeks.
So pretty much a stopped nursing for no reason:( in less than a week I lost ALL of my milk, I was( still am) devastated. I am going to be trying to get it back through a few different ways.
***the most important thing is that Jackson is okay***








4 comments:
I am so sorry that you've had to go thru all of that. How frightening. But I'm glad to hear that things are doing a lot better. 2lbs is great. I think that you can get your milk back! You're a great mom, not to worry. Love all these darling pictures.
Oh, Bethie! There has been a lot going on for you the last 5 weeks, hasn't there? You handled it all so well, especially being post-partum to recently. Little Jackson was and is in good hands. I feel for the little guy. As I look at he pictures of him in the hospital, he had a "not well" look to him, but it is totally replaced by a healthy, happy baby face now. The best part is that you can get your milk back and you will. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself or it will counteract your efforts.
Beth, Shannon lightly mentioned your baby was in the hospital but reading your account put tears in my eyes. Nothing is harder than being a mom and feeling all that worry and frustration. I am so happy he is ok. The breast feeding is so frustrating, I mean how on earth were you to guess it was a UTI? I tried Brewers yeast and another herbal suppliment from the health food store. I cant think of it now something oh,fennagreek but I think they helped. My friend I am staying with right now in Washington DC her sister inlaw is a nurse who specialises in breast feeding and she recommended to me to use both brewers yeast and fennagreek for 48 hours following the bottle and it worked. I also heard you can get a prescription if your baby is really young which yours is so you might want to look into it. The hardest thing for me is to be calm because the after shock of my kid in the hospital is so hard on my nerves. If you have a good pump too to use after every feeding? My first baby was in the ICU at Primary's and just hearing the word Primary's just causes Jeff and I anxiety it is just hard on parents feeling helpless. With my fourth baby I finally got breast feeding down so well I didn't need to suppliment or maybe because she was a girl she just didn't eat as much as my boys. I was definatley one of those people it didn't come as easy for but the pump and all the other helpful hints tricked my body into doing what it needed too. One other tid bit I heard was many little sessions is more benificial than less long sessions. So if you could feed at least 15 to 20 min. 10 times in 24 hour period it is better at bringing back your supply than less longer sessions. I hope you dont mind all that...I am just passionate when it comes to being a mom and anyway I can offer help I try too. Hug your baby for me and I am so glad he is home and gaining weight. Good job Mom!!!
Mara sleeping with her baby brother is the cutest picture too. You have the cutest kids Beth.
Letitia
I am sorry that you ahd to go through that. I am happy he is well taken care of. Love you, Beth!
Post a Comment